August 5, 2009

Testers Found - Foxs Peace Symbol 12 x 12

Donald Bruce "Brucey" Mason - DOD 1969

UPDATE: TESTERS SO FAR ARE CAPRICE, JESSICA, BARBARA, LUANA, JEREE

I created this pattern with a square done in my least favorite color. Grey. It's the cancer awareness color for brain cancer. Most people know someone who has lost their life, or is going through cancer treatment or is a survivor of cancer.

The picture above is of my brother, Donald Bruce Mason who we called Brucey, who passed away when he was 10 years old from a brain tumor at Travis Air Force Base in California. I was 12 years old at the time and only remember bits and pieces of the tragic 2 years that he suffered. My parents were really good at hiding things from us other than when he had his first surgery to try to remove the tumor. We children were told that they had gotten all of it. Little did I know, it was a lie that parents do to protect the young minds of the other kids. Within 2 years, Brucey had passed away. At the time we were told that he was one of the youngest people to have ever gotten his type of brain tumor or his type of cancer. To this day, I have no idea exactly what kind of tumor or cancer it was.

This pattern is offered to a few testers who are "FOLLOWERS" just to work out the errors. After that, it will only be available to people who send me an email requesting the pattern but who promise to make and mail a square to me so that I can make some charity afghans for different charity organizations. If however you make a complete afghan that you are donating to a charity, I'd appreciate a picture and a square mailed to me. I'll post them within this posting or in a fresh one of everyone's blankets.
So if you want to be a tester, please read below

1. Must be a FOLLOWER. Send me an email with your FOLLOWER name.

2. You must agree to email me any errors you find in the pattern as you find them.

3. You must agree to send me a picture of your completed square laid out nice and flat with all ends weaved in..

4. Use whatever color of yarn you'd like but please check this web-site for all the colors and what they signify. http://www.trinitylondon.com/awareness-ribbon-meanings.asp One of them might jump out at you.

5. If any testers want to test the pattern AND send me a square let me know that you will be sending a square so I can give instructions about the border edging color. Some of you know that I'm almost blind and it is very difficult for me to sew blankets together unless they have a light colored edging.

Thanks for listening,

8 comments:

Jean in Georgia said...

I'm Jean and I'm a Ravelry friend (doxietrek). I just wanted to offer my condolences on the loss of your brother to brain cancer. I lost my dad to it 7 1/2 years ago. Only people who have been affected by it truly understand what a horrible disease it is. I'm so sorry to hear that you're in that fraternity as well.

Unknown said...

Yes it's a horrible fraternity to belong to for sure.

I have a lot of respect for those who are survivors!

Donna

Sandy said...

I am sorry for your loss. If you're still wanting squares to make an afghan for charity, I'd be happy to make a square and forward to you.

I knit and crochet and have one blog focused on helping homeless. Was doing some blog walking, no clue how I got here; been too many places.

If you're interested in my making a square email me at sandycrochet@gmail.com

sandy
Happy New Year

Sandy said...

Oh, am on Rav also, if you prefer that means of communication. My ID there is schcrochet

Sandy

Karen said...

Hi Donna. I used to 'crochet' (using the term lightly) a few years ago and I've recently started up again. I want to say that I am going to download the pattern and I am going to 'try' to make a square. If this is a beginner-easy pattern I'm sure I could make one to send to you. I will not dishonor your brother and get the pattern and not follow through. Let's just hope I can do it :-) God Bless.

Redloon said...

Hello Donna, This is muna from Pakistan. I am so sorry to read about your brother's passing over, a relative of ours is suffering with a very virulent form of pancreatic cancer. It is very very hard to watch someone you love suffer like this and I can imagine that you never quite get over the pain.

I would love to do a square for your charity, would you tell me where to send it when i am done? I have already made one for Krochet Krystal, but am still trying to mail it (reliably) without paying US$ 70+ for it.

Also would love to be a tester for your patterns, my email is muna.nana@gmail.com

Redloon said...

just a ps, here in Pakistan when someone dies, and we want to honour them, we begin a charity in their name, and we believe that it brings their souls prayers and good wishes as long as the charity keeps running. We call it a SADKA E JARIA.... I am honoured to be able to help you keep this one going in memorium.

Susan said...

Wow! what a great idea! I just came across this and printed the pattern. I will definitely be forwarding to you a peace square for the charity afghan. I have been crocheting since I was 10 years old and will turn 50 this year. Great idea. I do have an online crochet store on eBay (www.stores.ebay.com/simpleecrochet) and plan on pasting this on my eBay store. Thank you so much for your dedication to this cause. My e-mail is simpleecrochet@gmail.com and I pray that God blesses you and your creativity. Susan

Post a Comment

Please post general comments for everyone to see however if your comment is regarding that you want to test a pattern or need me to fix an error in a pattern - do not leave a comment. Just send me an email instead.

SmoothFoxLover@yahoo.com