April 25, 2011

Diamonds Are A Girls Best Friends Knit Hat - Free Pattern

SmoothFox's Diamonds Are A Girls Best Friend - Knit Hat

Picture courtesy of MarieAnge Brouillard aka MariAngel on Ravelry
Created by Donna Mason-Svara aka SmoothFox  ©2011  Version 2.0
Bernat Super Value, 4ply Medium Worsted
Color A:  Yellow
Color B:  Light Damson

Needle Size:
US 7 – 4.5 mm 16” or 20” circular needle
US 7 – 4.5 mm 1 set of double-pointed needles
US 6 – 4 mm 16” or 20” circular needle

Skill level:  Intermediate
Gauge: 5 stitches and 5 Rounds to an inch of stockinette stitch
Hat sizes: Baby, Toddler, Child, Woman, Man
Baby hat circumference– 14.5”  - CO is 72
Toddler hat circumference – 16”  - CO is 80
Child hat circumference – 17.5  CO is 88
Woman hat circumference – 19”  CO is 96
Man hat circumference – 22.5”  CO is 112

Notions:  Stitch Markers, Yarn Needle

ABBREVIATIONS:
CO:  Cast on
K2tog: Knit two stitches together
K: Knit

My Ravelry Store: http://www.ravelry.com/stores/smoothfox-crochet-designs
My Knit and Crochet merchandise: http://zazzle.com/smoothfox*
My blog: http://smoothfoxlover.blogspot.com/

If you want a .pdf copy of this pattern or if you make this item – please click on this link below and add your own pictures as a project on Ravelry. Just click on the crochet hook with the words “Hook It” if this is a crochet pattern or if it is a knit pattern click on the words “Cast On” near the top right side and this will add your item as a project. Then you can add the pictures when you have completed your project.

 http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/diamonds-are-a-girls-best-friends-knit-hat

Thank you to Marion, a.k.a. “thehatlady” on Ravelry for all of her help.  Her help has been invaluable.  Marion has supplied the chart below which is a cool way of reading charts.  Each square when read from right to left tells you how many of each color stitch to knit.  I think it’s a cool way of doing a chart.  This chart is only available in the .pdf version.

Additional thanks are sent out to all of the testers of this project.  I want to give special thanks to MarieAnge Brouillard a.ka. MariAngel on Ravelry as she was invaluable in helping me to pull together all the information the wonderful testers supplied.  She’s definitely a special lady in my book and I appreciate all of her help very much.

INSTRUCTIONS for size changes are within ( )
With smaller needles US 6 – 4 mm and color A and using the long-tail method, CO on for 72(80, 88, 96, 112)sts, place marker and join in the round, being careful not to twist.
Round 1 thru 6: Work 6 rounds of K2, P2 ribbing
Insert markers every 8 sts on round 8 - Switch to larger needles US 7 – 4.5 mm
Round 7 thru 8: (color A) K72 (80, 88, 96, 112)
CHART IS READ FROM BOTTOM TO TOP RIGHT TO LEFT

Round 30: (color A) knit
Measure hat to see if it is the approximate length you’d like. Smaller size hats are approx 5” before decreasing, larger hats can be from 6” depending on your preferences. Hat pictured is 6” before beginning decrease rounds. Follow decrease rounds if your hat is the proper length.  Repeat round 30 as many times as needed before your decrease rounds begin. 

DECREASE ROUNDS - Use color A for all decrease rounds and change to dpn’s when sts get tight to knit.

Round 1:  *(K6, K2tog) repeat from * 
Round 2 and all even Rounds:  Knit
Round 3:  *(K5, K2tog) repeat from *
Round 5:  *(K4, K2tog) repeat from *
Round 7:  *(K3, K2tog) repeat from *
Round 9:  *(K2, K2tog) repeat from *
Round 11:  *(K1, K2tog) repeat from *
Round 13:  *(K2tog) repeat from *
Small hats stop here.  Larger hats, continue with Round 14 and 15
Round 15:  *(K2tog) repeat from * 
Cut yarn leaving a 8" tail. Using large eyed sewing needle run thread through remaining stitches and fasten off. Weave in ends and finish off.
Created by Donna Mason-Svara aka SmoothFoxLover@yahoo.com 2011
This pattern has been tested.  Please notify me of any pattern corrections. I will answer any and all questions you may have with the instructions.  Do not plagiarize this pattern.  All patterns are my original designs. Please do not re-sell my patterns or give them away for free or post my patterns on the Internet. You may sell items you make from my patterns at craft fairs, fund raisers or custom orders for friends and family but please do not sell finished items on the internet without my written permission. Do not claim designs as your own.

This pattern is copyrighted by me and I give my permission for you to post pictures of items made from my pattern on your website if you will post a link back to my Ravelry store if the pattern is for sale.  If the pattern is free, please direct people to my Blog.  Be sure to list the name SmoothFox as the designer. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing this pattern. It;s exactly what I've been looking for.

Anonymous said...

I made this for my nephew for Christmas. I have recently discovered and become addicted to fair isle/color work. It works up beautifully and the directions are crystal clear. I will be remaking this many times in different sizes and color combos. Thank you so much for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I wrote the first comment above. Am back to say I have made this hat several times, for both men and women, and it turns out great each time. I really enjoy working fair isle patterns and this one is a pleasure to make. Thank you again for sharing your pattern. Linda

Post a Comment

Please post general comments for everyone to see however if your comment is regarding that you want to test a pattern or need me to fix an error in a pattern - do not leave a comment. Just send me an email instead.

SmoothFoxLover@yahoo.com